Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Celtics are Champs

Congrats to the Boston Celtics for winning the title, and big props go to Ray Allen, Kevin Garnett, and Paul Pierce for getting their rings (and oh yes you too Sam Cassell). But first thing is first, and I must eat some crow.



On a post dated 11/01/2007, I wrote the following...



"Green Kool*Aid
Don't Sip the Kool*Aid on the Boston Celtics this year!Before the Celtics tip off their season, I just want to put it out there that I am not going to sip on that green kool-aid, celtic flavor. I do not think the Celtics will win the NBA Championship, nor do I think they will win the East. Sure, the Celtics will be a tough team to play against, but they draw similar comparisons to the '03-'04 LA Lakers. The Lakers team that included Kobe, Shaq, Karl Malone,and Gary Payton."






Boy, was I wrong.



Not only was this team the complete real deal composed of 3 superstars who each scaled back their egos and games to compliment each other, but their role players were ideal for this team. Savy Vets like Cassell and PJ Brown, lock-down defender like James Posey, 3-point threats like Eddie House and Tony Allen, and young big men like Leon Powe, Big Baby, and Kendrick Perkins and oh yes an ever improving point guard in Rajon Rondo all contributed significantly to the title run.



I did predict the Celtics to win the finals and I did feel that they were not receiving enough credit against the Lakers, and the C's basically exploited every Laker weakness and forced Kobe into countless uncomforatable offensive situations.

These are the finals the NBA wanted and I do not think it is to far-fetched to predict a repeat finals next year. This was one of the most compelling NBA seasons in recent memory with the parity in the West, the return on Celtic basketball, the Hornets, Chris Paul emerging, Lebron continuing to improve, new stars like Kevin Durant and Brandon Roy, and oh yes the NBA still has a guy named Greg Oden waiting to debut.

More thoughts on the Finals to come. But for now, I wanna hear your thoughts on the Finals!

No comments: